In this era of increased government regulation of the work place and the employer-employee relationship, effective assistance and guidance is critical. Over the years Kelly has addressed issues covering the vast range of work place issues – every manner and type of discrimination and harassment; retaliation; wage and hour and employee benefits issues; and application of the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”) – just to name a few. That results in knowledgeable and effective:
- Day-to-day advice and guidance as issues arise
Sound, practical help is available in ‘real time’ as questions and concerns emerge. Taking advantage of that can head off problems before they become problems. Kelly can also assist with developing policies and procedures that can also reduce the risk of problems and legal exposure.
- Representation in court and before
Defense of claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and retaliation in state and federal court and in front of the EEOC and defense of compensation/pay plans when challenged by employees and state and federal wage and hour divisions, including the Georgia Department of Labor.
- Investigation of and reporting on allegations of discrimination and harassment
Kelly’s experience in the trenches and the courtroom translates well into investigating claims – knowing who to talk to, what to look for, and how to evaluate what is gathered so informed decisions may be made.
- Covenants Not to Compete/Solicit
These covenants are a dual-edged sword. On the one hand, it helps a business protect its investment in clients and the business goodwill generated by employees. On the other hand, covenants can be so draconian that former employees are precluded, unlawfully, from legitimate business endeavors. Kelly has helped businesses and individuals falling on either side of the dual-edged sword.
Local Government Law
The law governing local governments, boards, and authorities is subject to rapid shifts and never-ending permutations. Serving as city attorney for a local metro government and providing advice and representation to others, Kelly stays current on the law and developing trends. His knowledge and experience allows him to provide a range of services:
- Serving as city attorney, providing day-to-day advice and guidance
- Reviewing, analyzing, and drafting ordinances and contracts
- Defending claims in lawsuits and administrative proceedings and pursuing claims on behalf of a local government, board, or agency
- Serving as a neutral investigator or hearing officer, especially as related to workplace disputes and issues
- Testifying before legislative committees or other governmental bodies on issues affecting local governments.
General Commercial Law and Litigation
A business is composed of many different, related components. Businesses have relationships with vendors/suppliers, customers (whether B2B or otherwise), a developer or contractor, a bank or other financial institution … the list could go on and on. Each presents legal challenges whether it’s negotiating/entering into the relationship in the first place or having to deal with a dispute when something seemingly goes wrong or isn’t right. Kelly’s breadth and depth of experience provides the foundation to help in all of these situations.